When Heads Roll
My grade fours have drawn some beautiful pictures of birds in art class and are now working at blending colours using oil pastels to fill in all the plummage. The unique thing about this project and my favorite thing about it is that the students get to look at real owls. Yes, every week for this class I work at putting these two stuffed owls in the exact right position. One of the owls needs to be balanced against a large heavy pot as it does not stand up on its own. This is also the owl I borrowed from the chairman of our board for this project. At the start of every class I have reminded students to be mindful of the table where the owls are displayed. Don't walk near the tables, don't bump the tables, don't touch the owls, etc. etc. Well today, sure enough, a student bumped the table and not only did the chairman's owl fall off the table..its head popped off and rolled along the floor. Ahhhhhh, Why?
On a more bizarre note, our grade eights went on a canoe trip in Edmonton's River Valley today as part of their outdoor ed. program. You would not believe what happened...... no joke, they discovered a dead body floating where they docked their canoes for lunch!
Seriously, what a day!


6 Comments:
Okay, that would be a new one. To try to continue on after finding a dead body! I agree with jackinthebox, very creepy!
what a weird week you're having...but such wonderful stories and blogging material comes from it all. How did the kids react? Are you inspired to begin your own study on the desensitization of our youth through the medium of television? I'm sure you'll report back as to the results. :)
Yikes, that sounds traumatizing!!
Gross!!
It actually didn't seem like too big of a deal in the end. Some kids talked about it alot, but I don't think anyone was traumatized. Maybe your right Shareen.
Interesting though. The biggest nusance to the teacher there was how the cops handled it.
You are a stellar art teacher (headless owls and all)! I am doing three grades of art this year and feel a little in over my head so I am looking forward to the session you are doing at convention! See you then!
Kim.
Post a Comment
<< Home