A Stroll Down Whyte Avenue

Today, being spring break and all, and with the sun shining bright outside, I decided to take a stroll down Whyte Avenue, which I consider to be part of my neighborhood as my building is on it. It is in the oldest part of Edmonton, so some of the architecture is pretty cool, and I love the awning to this old theatre which now plays alot of rare films. There are also some cool shops like Lush, Lulu Lemon, Chapters, numerous starbucks and second cups, rank and classy pubs, a hat shop, artist studios, used book stores, and numerous other odd but interesting retail experiences to be had. My favorite shop is "Nikomi's" , a clothing store, containing all retro like, Canadian designed and made clothes. They are so darn cute, but sooooo expensive - it's my browsing store. There are also a number of posh spas. The store that makes me puke is "Urban Dog". Its a specialty store selling accessories and outfits for dogs (Sorry, I like pets too, but do they really need outfits with pom poms on them - what a waste of money).
Anyways, I just really like walking Whyte. It is just so diverse (o.k. not like Toronto diverse), but still if you wanted you could pick up Gwen Stephani's clothes line, a goth outfit, Tim Hortons, high end soap, an authentic scottish kilt, sushi and a representative from Green Peace all on one short walk. Oh another thing I like, are the buskers. They are not always impressive, but there are some great "regulars" and today there was a young guy jazzing on a piano they rolled out from an antique store.
There have been some bad experiences on Whyte too, like when people, decide to bike, jog or rollarblade down it for exercise - I find this so annoying because there are so many pedestrians on this route. Also I have been shit on by a penguin while walking the Ave - so gross, I gagged numerous times while briskly trying to get home.
On my stroll today, I picked up a Chai Latte, my favorite coffee-type drink lately, read gossipy magazines at Chapters (including People, Amber), and picked up three videos at Rogers. They have a good deal on the old films, soooo I rented "BIG" remember that movie with Tom Hanks? Man on Fire (because I think Dakota Fanning is the best child actor since MacCauley Culkin - ha ha) and ......this ones for you Stephen and Amber, Hoosiers. I have already watched it, and what an inspirational underdog story. I've seen this movie before but still got choked up when the son says he loves his alcoholic dad (who's trying to clean up), and of course when they win. Do you know where the real "Hickory" town is, and have you been there yet?
Well that was my day - very relaxing and refreshing and a bonus that no disguisting animal disposed its feces on me. The only thing that would have made it better is if Julian had spring break too!


3 Comments:
When Shareen lived in Edmonton we visited her and experienced Whyte Ave. I would love to move to Edmonton, it is such a cool city!! Thanks for the advice on my blog, in theroy it sounds so simple but unfortunetly i seem to freak out more than attempt to swim. But this friday when i go swimming i will give it a whirl!! Thanks Jenessa!!
It sounds like a beautiful stroll! Its raining in Lethbridge today but you've inspired me anyway to take advantage of the great outdoors.
I wish I was walking with you! A penguin though? I am giggling with this image
Post a Comment
<< Home