Jenessa's Blog

Welcome to my blog! I am glad you have checked in and are interested in my life. Enjoy and keep in touch.

Saturday, March 11, 2006

some thoughts from tree hugger Jenessa

I have to say that I am becoming more and more nervous about the state of our environment and related things. Ever since I took an environmental science class a couple years ago, I notice more and more things that we do in our society that are permanantly harmful. I know that people get sick of hearing about these problems, but I think there is a reason we keep hearing about environmental concerns - OUR ENVIRONMENT IS IN A SAD STATE. Another depressing thing, is how hard our society makes it for people to try and live a more environmentally friendly lifestyle (ie - having to pay to enroll in a recylcing program).

It is even scarier to me, how much our business world gets away with to produce products with harmful substances in them.

For example - coffeemate, ya the powdery cream for coffee in most staff rooms. It has aluminum in it (not good).

Also those new light bulbs that save energy - they have mercury in them. So when people throw them in the garbage, where does the mercury go??? The company doesn't even have proper disposal instructions on the packaging.

Nancy Mering, a cbc reporter who was recently diagnosed with breast cancer has done some of her own research into our cancer epidemic - partly because she was so confused as to why she got cancer. Here is the link to one of her reports - it's worth a read and has lists of product ingredients/products to look out for.

http://www.cbc.ca/consumers/market/files/health/cancer/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home