Jenessa's Blog

Welcome to my blog! I am glad you have checked in and are interested in my life. Enjoy and keep in touch.

Thursday, May 11, 2006

Bingo

So I and a couple of my friends from the philosophy department went to play bingo this week. Another friend was working at the Bingo Hall to fundraise and we thought we would support the her cause (the UofA rugby team). I have always wanted to experience the bingo culture.

I have always considered myself to be a good, even great multi-tasker, but bingo is multitasking at a whole new level. I was fine with one card (four games on each), but then everyone around you is buying other types of cards for different bingo games, some of which go on at the same time. I bought more cards to fit in, but it got so confusing. I even missed numbers. And just when you think you've caught up and your two dots away, someone always yells bingo. Plus the bingo caller failed to use his pronounciation skills, (how nice), so I had to scan the board every call to make sure I heard it correctly. Some bingo players there were amazing. They stamped multiple cards of all types with ease. One lady beside us even offered to stamp some of our cards for us, since we were newcomers.

In the end, I lost twenty bucks, and have a new respect for those hardcore bingo players. I don't think I will be pursuing a bingo career anytime soon, but it was a fun evening.

2 Comments:

At 11:20 PM, Blogger ~Nanc. said...

Hey Janessa!! I can totally identify with you!! I am a youth pastor on the Sunshine coast of BC now and I wanted to do a fun bingo night for my kids... so I went to a real bingo to see how it was done and it was so intense! They are so hardcore... the lady sitting right next to me won 500 bucks and thought it was nothin! My personal favorite was the trolls and other good luck charms... as well as their egg salad sandwhiches!!
Hope you guys are doing well!

 
At 6:12 PM, Blogger Jenessa Fowke said...

Is this Nancy Shadlock? And, yes the amount of trolls to be found at a bingo hall is quite alarming.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home